Yiasou, F3 Metro. When looking back on your adult lives, you will remember the date August 26, 2017 . . .
As the date Speed for Need continued its charge, making a late August stop at the 5K of all Charlotte 5Ks – the Greek Fest.
Known as the fastest (and flattest) 5K course in town, this race will give our Track Commanders (aka athlete riders) a chance to experience some real speed. That speed, paired with the many cheering fans along the course, will no doubt make this a memorable event.
We have two chairs available for the race that day (the other two will be with our brothers in F3Hickory for a race out there). As usual, our goal is to provide our riders that special dose of F3 love and encouragement while giving them a great ride. The byproduct of this effort will be an example for other racers and bystanders (with the essential help of our athlete-rider friends) of hope, compassion, and fortitude.
Like the American 4-miler, we’re planning a huge F3 turnout. That’s where YOU come in. And this is where I go all TOLKIEN ON YOU. SIGN UP! NOW PLEASE. DON’T WAIT BECAUSE YOU’LL ALSO WANT THE SWEET GREEK-FEST T-SHIRT, AND THEY RUN OUT OF THE SHIRTS CLOSE TO THE RACE DATE. YHC (F3MAYBE) HAS THE Q FOR THIS ONE, BUT WE ALL KNOW HE NEEDS ALL THE HELP HE CAN GET, SO SIGN UP TO RUN WITH TEAM “F3 NATION.”
- If you were unable to attend the first official SFN event, take a minute to read Nash’s backblast here (and be sure to watch the youtube link at the end).
- We’re pleased to announce that Jake Palmer (son of Elaine Palmer who works with F3Maybe) will be one of the two Track Commanders for the race, and a group of three men will each push him for a mile to maximize the speed effect. One other Track Commander / runner combo is in the works for the second chariot.
- The Greek Festival 5K begins at 7:30AM and will start and finish on East Blvd in front of Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church. Here’s the COURSE MAP.
- Entry fee is $30 until July 22, then it goes up to $35. Save 5 bucks and sign up in the next couple days. There is NO RACE DAY REGISTRATION, so register beforehand.
- @JRRTolkien and I will set up the Official F3 SPEEDFORNEED canopy near the start line, probably around 6:00AM. Please plan to congregate there before and after the race for a quick photo op with the Track Commanders and race chairs. We also have race cards that will go to the TCs; need everyone to sign this thing before carrying on with their Saturday.
- Parking – tons of parking on Mount Vernon on the other side of Latta Park near Doc(k) and AC’s houses. Or in the Dilworth Elementary school lot. Otherwise, find a spot anywhere in the neighborhood. You could park at the Freedom Park gravel lot and walk up East Blvd as well.
- If you are running, we plan to stay together as a group as much as possible. The race chariots will be mostly in the lead and we will fan out in a group behind the chair – could use some men carrying shovel flags as well. Be careful, or you might get dropped by the chariots.
- If you have no interest in running, please still come on out. Lots of 2nd F and fun for the family (note that the actual Greek Festival isn’t until the following weekend though). We also need a couple PAX to hang around the tent during the race in case any passersby have questions about F3 or SPEEDFORNEED.
This should be a ton of fun. I know Jake is pumped.